The Benefits of Exercising Together
Exercise is important for the health and well-being of adults and children alike. Some health professionals believe exercising together as a family may just be the solution to rising obesity rates and increasing family instability. One such professional is Sylvia Rimm, a psychologist and director of the Family Achievement Clinic in Cleveland. She states, “Exercise not only improves health, but increases self-confidence and reduces anxiety in children.” Participating in physical activity as a family also strengthens family bonds and improves the overall mood of both the parents and the children. The benefits even go as far as a better night’s sleep and improved performance at work and school.
Activities to Get the Whole Family Moving
- Planting flowers or starting a vegetable garden in your yard
- Exploring local parks or walking trails
- Throwing around a ball or Frisbee
- Kicking around a soccer ball and taking turns being goalie
- Taking an evening walk while everyone talks about their days
- Taking a family bike ride
- Going to a rollerblading or ice skating rink
Visit the American Cancer Society for more information on keeping your family active and healthy!